Thursday, November 6, 2008

Week 10 Notes and Muddiest Point

Reading Notes:

Digital Libraries: This article looked at digital libraries. It discussed how the Digital Libraries Initiative projects involving several universities led to the best practices and standards for digital library work. It was interesting to discover that Google came about because of these projects. Think of how vastly different many of our lives would be without Google. This piece had a lot of information.

Dewey Meets Turing: This article looked at how the Digital Library Initiative interested libraries and computer scientists. Also discussed was how the WWW played a huge role in both disciplines. I thought it intriguing that despite all the technical changes occurring, the author was adamant that core function of librarianship remains, which is organizing, collating, and presenting information. This is something that so many people seem to think is not the case. Often when I tell someone I'm going to school for Library Science, I get lectured on how libraries won't be around much longer because of technology.

Institutional Repositories: This article looked at institutional repositories used by universities and the positive and negative effects they could have. The author looked at potential dangers involved in having institutional repositories and how they can also encourage the exploration and adoption of new forms of scholarly communication.

Muddiest Point:
I was confused by the idea of empty elements. Why do these exist and do they have to? I guess I just don't grasp the purpose of them.

4 comments:

Abby Jacobsen said...

I have received a similar lecture regarding how libraries will not exist because of technology. It is rather disconcerting, although I do not believe it. I think that it is rather amusing that I have heard people in our major say that. Why would you waste those several thousand dollars on a discipline that is disappearing? Crazy….

J. Dustin Williams said...

It seems that there are a lot of connections today between our field and technological fields like computer science. I have a computer science degree, and a lot of what we did in that field seems like more refined versions of what people are trying to do in library science. I believe that if people in the library science field would study the computer science field more (what we do right now seems like a basic understanding that does not really allow you to do anything on your own), we could improve a lot. We should also try to work closer with Web designers -- the pages that libraries use tend to be terrible. I suppose that makes it a good thing that we created a Web page for this class. Anyway, I do not think that everyone involved with libraries needs to be a computer scientist as well, but we could use more people with knowledge in both fields.

Daqing said...

I totally agree with Dustin. Library field, not all of the people in the field but many of them, assume that technolgy is something should be handled by others, the core of library is to tender books. This will cause problem in the future. Future library will tightly connected with IT, so IT is not some thing else, it is part of library

Susan Barbish said...

I never thought of how my life would be without google, but that is an interesting concept. I use google so much and for so many reasons I could not imagine life without it. It is interesting how google came out of this project.