Thursday, September 18, 2008

Week 5 Reading Notes & Muddiest Point

Wikipedia:
This definition of data compression was difficult for me to get through. Perhaps if you had a more clear view of what was being discussed first it wouldn't be so hard to follow.

Data Compression Basics:
I found this piece, while extremely lengthy (as the warning indicated), was much easier to digest than the Wikipedia definition. The wording was much easier to get through. I thought the lessy data compression was interesting. How it's more preserving the meaning, than the data.

Imaging Pittsburgh:
This article was interesting to me. I really enjoyed reading about some of the difficulties they experienced. The idea of despite the e-mail set-up, website for posting, and monthly meetings, they still had difficulty communicating. The was likely due to several factors, but I wondered if maybe it wasn't because they were doing most of their communication via the Internet. While an amazing tool, I'm not sure how well I could work with a variety of people over emails and postings. I guess I'll find out in some of my classes, but I think more face-to-face time may have improved the communication problems they experienced.

UTube and Libraries:
I don't disagree that UTube could be used to draw more patrons to a library, but I'm not sure the author of this article actually came up with anything very exciting or different to try. It wasn't very convincing of how necessary UTube is, probably because at this point, it's not. If there had been a truly unique idea, I may have agreed with her.

Muddiest Point:
What I found interesting and a bit confusing was that there is no metadata standard schema. I would think there would be one basic schema that all or most metadata schemas were based upon. Is there one that exists and I took notes wrong, or are there multiple schemas that metadata can use?

2 comments:

Justin Charles Hite said...

Yeah, the metadata thing can be a bit mind-boggling. It seemed to me like there were a few different ones that most people use. But if you wanted to create your own you'd be free to. When I look at the code tags, all I saw was what looked like HTML, and I want to see what it looks like when we actually look at it.

ngrey_o said...

Yes I found the reading on data compression fairly difficult to sort out. Perhaps the lecture tomorrow will lend some clarity to this topic for us.